So the past few weeks have had me running ragged. The craziness
of SXSW just ended a couple of weeks ago, and I’m still recovering. I’ve never
actually done it before—gone downtown to enjoy all the free music and
festivities. So to sum it up, I RSVP’d to a bunch of newsletters and events
online. These venues would then email me the location to pick up a wristband
that would get me into free parties downtown. Folks, I spent a week waiting in
long lines for free, watered down drinks, listening to a bunch of bands I’ve
never heard before. Some of the music was good, some of the food was decent,
but the trick to having a good time is tipping the bartenders. I got some free
stuff and had a good time with my friends, but doing it all week long was
simply not possible. I was actually relieved to go into work on Tuesday and Thursday
just so I could relax.
I saw Grumpy Cat and sat on the Iron Throne. I rode a mechanical
bull and was proposed to by someone who was surprisingly sober—not that I was. I stood in long food lines,
eating before getting more food and going back to the end of the line and doing
it again. I was three sheets to the wind and silly enough to remember how fun
playing with toys could be. (We will miss you Toy Joy.) I’m glad I did it and can honestly say I will never
do it again.
Besides… I like ACL better.
So before SXSW really got going, Cynthia and I decided to go
to the rodeo. We bought tickets and were planning on riding the rides at the
carnival before watching cowboys getting bucked off of god knows what.
Things don’t always happen the way you envision them. It was
raining and cold. I’ve lived in Scotland so I wasn’t too fazed by it, but
Cynthia had left her jacket at the apartment so she wasn’t having as nearly a
good time as I. Oh, we still rode some rides. Maybe I’m getting too old, but the
rides actually hurt. The centrifugal force was putting too much pressure on my
poor joints. My shoulders and hip felt the worst of it, and I was honestly
happy to climb off of some of the rides.
Everything at the carnival was bought with tokens, including
the carny food. I ate so much junk that I told Cynthia not to let me buy the
funnel cake. (It’s okay; I got my fix later that week at SXSW).
We enjoyed the rodeo more, at least I did. See, this was
Cynthia’s kind of thing—nothing new to her. But me? Oh, it was like Christmas
morning. “What’s that?” “What’s happening?” “Oh, look at all the pretty lights!”
I had a great time even if I did get mud all over my Chucks
and my clothes smelled like stock yard. It was a Texas adventure and I went for
it.
No comments:
Post a Comment