On Monday, March 10, 2014, my sister became the happiest I’ve
ever known her to be. She married the love of her life and is enjoying the
happiness and misery that only married people will have the privilege of
knowing.
I, of course, was at SXSW toasting to their union and
shouting, “My sister just got married!”
When people asked why I wasn’t at the wedding, I answered
that having her family tag along would defeat the purpose of an elopement. The
truth is I would have loved to be there to officially welcome Erin into our
family, but I couldn’t afford to leave Texas. As it so happens, Texas wouldn’t
allow them to get married because Alicia and Erin are a same-sex couple.
Some people don’t understand what happens when you tell a
couple that their love cannot be taken seriously because of their sexuality.
They think that it is a matter of respecting the sacred bond of matrimony and
that marriage should be between a man and a woman. They think that their
religious views should be venerated, while refusing to acknowledge that just because
someone is gay it doesn’t mean they don’t believe in God.
It’s not saying, “Please respect my beliefs.”
It’s saying, “Please don’t argue when I don’t allow you the
same rights as everybody else.”
I felt that Erin was my sister long before they said their vows.
I felt it by seeing how hard they loved and the sincerity in their joy. I felt
it every time she made my sister laugh, that loud, obnoxious bark that startles
their cats, Bones and Mr. Sulu.
I am so proud to call them my sisters. I’m happy that they
grabbed the world by the lapels, gave it a good shake, and said, “Dammit, we
can love too.”


No comments:
Post a Comment