Honestly, I never stick with the weigh-loss resolutions or
the ones where I strive to be a “better” person. So, my New Year’s resolution
for 2014 is to appreciate life and where I’m living by going out and exploring.
After my semester abroad, I realized that there were things I haven’t
experienced in a city I’ve lived in most of my life, and that it would be
stupid to not take advantage of living in this remarkable place. After all, there
are sites that bring millions of tourists to Austin each year.
I’ve decided to do this blog for a few reasons. Like with my
Scotland blog, it will motivate me to leave my apartment and go on
adventures. Also, I really enjoyed the touristy things I did in the UK and
Europe. Another reason for this blog is that this will be my final semester at
St. Edward’s University. I’m in the process of applying to graduate schools
outside of Texas, and I want something that surpasses what my memory can recall—proof
of this amazing city and my time here.
My first adventure was to go to Austin’s New Year at
Auditorium Shores.
I was still a kid the last time I went to this event of music, food, and fireworks. Last year, I spent New Year’s at Stirling Castle watching the Proclaimers before they lit the sky up, so Austin had some pretty big shoes to fill.
I’m not going to lie; it was a bit chilly out there. And, I
forgot the blanket in the car so I was sitting on the cold ground. Nothing a
cup of hot chocolate and a turkey leg couldn’t remedy. I wasn’t really hungry,
but eating a turkey leg was new for me and I decided, “What the hell,” and gave
it a shot. Let me tell you something; I turned more heads with that turkey leg
than I ever have primping and finding the cutest outfits to wear. And it was a
good leg.
I didn’t make it in time to see the Peterson Brothers Band
play. It’s a shame because I’ve caught their act before. These brothers are 14
and 16 and play blues like it’s in their blood. If you get a chance to
see them play, you’re in for some good entertainment. An act I’ve never seen
before but was impressed by was the Warren Hood Band. All in all the music was
great, the food was warm, and the fireworks were beautiful.
Afterward, I decided to meet my friends down at Sixth St. and ring in the New Year’s in a bar called Shotguns. I understand that Sixth St. is a popular attraction, I’ve been down there quite a few times. It’s a street with bars and clubs, and for New Year’s Eve, the roads get blocked off so the people drinking don’t stumble out into the street and get hit. Actually they usually block the streets off whenever there is a huge event going on like SXSW, holidays, and marathons, so this happens pretty often. This probably won’t be the last time that I write about the happenings on Sixth.
Expect videos and pictures of the trouble I get into for my
last six or seven months here. If you have any suggestions on something I
should do, leave a comment. If you’re in the area and want to go on one of
these adventures, let me know. Not all of the things I do will be on Trip
Advisor, and I’ll probably travel a little outside of Austin. My goal is to
have fun, and if you want to live vicariously through this blog, I don’t mind
one bit. Happy New Year!

No comments:
Post a Comment